Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Mark's Box - April 2009

My box was quite full today. But first a quick update on last month's box...

I have read two of the three items I featured last month. Pluto was amazing. It is a wonderful noirish detective story with robots. Definitely worth hunting down. 20th Century Boys started off pretty slowly and I wasn't sure I was going to like it. By the end of volume one, I was loving it. I can't wait for the second volumes of both.

Oh, look! Pluto volume 2 showed up today! I won't be featuring further volumes of things I have already mentioned, but I can't wait to read more Pluto. I also got two further volumes of Black Jack (which is high on my favorite comics of all-time list already) and three Red Sonja books. Now on to the featured titles.


I have been wanting to invest in the Marvel Masterworks books for some time, but I didn't want to shell out the bucks for the sweet hardcovers. I knew once I bought one, I would need to own them all. Thankfully, Marvel has decided to start releasing them in paperback editions. I can afford to buy them all in this format. Marvel Masterworks The X-Men, Volume 1 just arrived. It collects the first ten issues from the 60s written by Stan Lee and drawn by Jack Kirby. Excellent stuff that I have read before, but not in color. Read Marvel's description of the book here.


The blurb for American Jesus sounded really cool. A twelve-year-old boy suddenly discovers he is the returned Jesus Christ. I find out now that a movie is in the works. Should be an interesting read. Check out CBR's story here.


Air: Letters From Lost Countries completes my featured titles this month. The synopsis sounded good, but Neil Gaiman's stamp of approval on the cover is what sold me on this. A stewardess is in love with a mysterious passenger. Her journey to find him leads to various shenanigans. Check out a review of it here.

No comments: