Sunday, February 22, 2009

If I Picked The Oscars...

The Academy Awards kick off in a few hours, so I thought I would post my winners now. That way the winners can celebrate early since I am sure they are anxious to hear my thoughts. I haven't seen all the movies, so some of these awards are based on me watching the trailers. Here are the categories that I have some opinion about.
  • Best Actor in a Leading Role - Sean Penn in Milk
  • Best Actor in a Supporting Role - Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight
  • Best Actress in a Leading Role - Anne Hathaway in Rachel Getting Married
  • Best Actress in a Supporting Role - Marisa Tomei in The Wrestler
  • Best Directing - Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire
  • Best Documentary Feature - Man On Wire
  • Best Song - "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire
  • Best Picture - Slumdog Millionaire
  • Best Original Screenplay - In Bruges
UPDATE: Six of the nine I was rooting for went home with the actual awards. I missed on both female acting awards and original screenplay. I am quite happy Kate Winslet finally picked up her Oscar. I do wish that In Bruges or Happy-Go-Lucky would have won the screenplay award. They are both wonderful smaller films that should be seen by more people.

UPDATE 4/18/09: So, I finally got around to seeing 'Milk' last night and I was underwhelmed. It was a decent movie, but I didn't find it that compelling. I still haven't seen three of the other Best Actor films, so I don't know which performance should have won.

No comments: