Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Best & Worst of 2008 - Video Games Edition

I believe this will be the last of my Best & Worst lists for 2008. The vast majority of my video gaming in 2009 was done on the Xbox360, so all the titles here are for that system. So far there hasn't been any must-play games for me on the other two consoles, so I haven't felt the need to buy them. Someday maybe. For now, I am quite happy with gaming on the 360.


1. Fallout 3 (2008) - My favorite game of the year by far. My favorite game ever. I spent hours and hours playing Morrowind and Oblivion, so I was really anticipating Bethesda's next game. I scheduled the day off work. I picked it up at midnight and played it for 24 hours straight before going to bed. I kept playing and playing and it never got boring. There is so much to see and do. And then there is VATS which never gets old.


2. BioShock (2007) - This is my kind of FPS. I don't like shooters where you run around and constantly kill wave after wave of enemy. I like to take my time and explore. I like a compelling story. BioShock is all about the story. My feeble FPS skillz were adequate to get me through this wonderful game.


3. Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved 2 (2008) - I can still remember ten-year-old me sitting on the living room floor playing Asteroids on my 2600 for hours and hours. Not much has changed in twenty-seven years. Well, i guess the games have changed a bit. And I tend to sit on the couch now instead of the floor. 


4. N+ (2008) - Another retro-looking game that does everything right. This game is hard, but so much fun that it doesn't matter. There is an achievement you unlock when you die 1000 times. Never has failure been so much fun.


5. Overlord (2007) - I really need to finish this game. Having a horde of minions to do your bidding is great fun. In addition to the great fighting and puzzle solving, the game is hilarious. An underrated gem.


Worst. Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (2008) - I finished this game, but it was so frustrating to get through. Very, very annoying gameplay. The story was fine, the force powers were mostly fun, but overall it was a mess. Finished it and I hope I never have to play it again. I think the only Star Wars games that have been worth playing are the two Knights of the Old Republic games.

No comments: