Monday, October 12, 2009

Mark's Box - October 2009

Holy crap. This was my biggest box ever. Chock full of awesome. I haven't been reading comics the last couple weeks because I've been reading some non-graphic novels. But this box is making me wish I wasn't in the middle of two books right now. I need to start reading these things as soon as possible.

But first, a quick update on last month's featured titles. Pax Romana = Awesome. Essex County = Still unread. Unknown Soldier = Mildly intriguing, but not for me.

This month's titles that did not make the top three or have been previously mentioned: Pluto Vol 5, Black Jack Vol 6, Black Jack Vol 7, Marvel 1602 (by Neil Gaiman), Marvel Masterworks Avengers Vol 2, Ythaq Vol 2, and more...

Anyone who can spot the connection between this month's featured titles and posts a comment is entered in a contest to win my copy of Unknown Soldier trade paperback volume one.

V For Vendetta by Alan Moore & David Lloyd - A little known early work from an up-and coming talent. Well, maybe not. Alan Moore. Heard of him? He wrote a little book called Watchmen that got a bit of press recently. This is probably his second most 'famous' book and I've never read it. That will change soon. Really looking forward to this one. Amazon link

Promethea by Alan Moore, JH Williams III, & Mick Gray - To kind of quote the wikipedia article: 'Promethea explored Moore's ideas about consciousness, mysticism, magic, écriture féminine and the Kabbalah.' I am not even sure what all those words mean, but it sounds highfalutin and possibly awesome. If anyone can make that awesome, I trust Alan Moore to do it. Amazon link

Tom Strong by Alan Moore & Chris Sprouse - It's got a gorilla, so it must be good. Tom Strong is a tribute to the old-timey pulp comics from Alan Moore. Tom Strong is a 'science-hero' who lives forever or something like that. Should be a groovy read. Amazon link

No comments: