Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mark's Box - May 2009

Holy rising hemlines, Batman! My box was chock full of excellence this month. I could list something like eight titles and they would all be great. The top three were still pretty easy to select. I have a sneaking suspicion that you may see some of these titles on my year-end best of list.

Greg Rucka has joined the small list of writers who are instant buys for me. He hasn't disappointed me yet. I read volume one of Queen & Country a while ago and it blew me away. I turned right around and ordered the next two volumes which showed up today. After I finish the book I'm currently reading, this is the next one I will start. Check out Oni's Queen & Country page here.

Warren Ellis is another writer that hasn't disappointed me yet. I got three Warren Ellis books today. He really writes a lot of stuff. My favorite series of his so far is Freak Angels. Volume two just showed up and I will be reading it right after I finish Queen & Country. Freak Angels is a free webcomic, but I have never read it online. Check it out here.

Marvel Masterworks: The Avengers, Volume 1 finally in trade paperback. This is the old school Avengers from the 1960s written by Stan Lee. Last month I got the first X-Men volume, so I am happy to see my Masterworks collection growing. Check out Marvel's Avengers page here.

No comments: